· A bay leaf added to the flour container will keep the flour free from moisture.
· Add a piece of coconut shell to a mutton dish while it is getting cooked, the meat remains tender and gets cooked much faster.
· Add a pinch of salt while frying Puris or Pakoras - this will help absorb less oil.
· Add a pinch of sugar while cooking spinach and green leafy vegetables. it will retain its green colour.
· Add a small amount of sugar when cooking carrots, peas, beets or corn - this will keep the flavour.
· Add a tsp of vinegar in water while boiling eggs. Even if they crack the contents will not come out.
· Add some cooked rice while grinding for Dosa. This will give soft Dosas.
· After boiling noodles, splash some cold water to separate one another.
· Always fry onions in a little oil and then grind. Raw onion paste will turn bitter immediately.
· Always soak cut egg plants (brinjal) in water otherwise it will turn black.
· Avoid eggplant (brinjal) turning black by putting the cut pieces in a bowl of water mixed with a spoon of milk.
· Before beating eggs, rinse the container with water. The mixture will not stick to the sides of the vessel.
· Cleaning your grater after shredding cheese can be made easy by grating a raw potato after the cheese. The potato clears the gummy cheese out of the holes.
· Cut the top of the carrot and store in air tight bag. This will keep it fresh for a longer period.
· Fat can be removed from hot soup by floating a large lettuce leaf on the surface.
· For soft idlies like a sponge do not stir the batter after it has got fermented. Pour the batter as it is.
· If you happen to bite a chili in your food take a sip of cold milk to sustain the heat.
· Keep boiled eggs in cold water for 5 minutes. This will make removal of the shell easier.
· Keep the bitter gourd in salty water for about ½ an hour to remove the bitterness from it.
· Lemon juice added to carrot cooking water will help keep the color bright.
· Mushrooms readily absorb water, even from atmosphere - they should never be washed. Instead wipe them with a clean and damp cloth.
· Never cook mushrooms in aluminum pans because the mushrooms will darken.
· Never keep greens in plastics, it will rot quickly.
· Never store an apple near a banana unless you want to ripen the banana in a short period of time.
· Never store potatoes near onions. Potatoes rot quickly if stored near onions.
· Never use metallic bowls to marinate meat - the acids (vinegar or lemon) can react with the metal bowls.
· Never use stainless steel spoons for pickles. This will react with the acids in the pickle.
· Placing Potatoes in salt water for 15 minutes before baking make them bake quickly. Salt also adds taste.
· Potatoes: To keep them from budding, place an apple in the bag with potatoes.
· Reduce the burning sensation after cutting green chilies by keeping the fingers in a bowl of cold milk added with some sugar.
· Rub a little oil on the rim of the container, the milk won't overspill while boiling.
· Sprinkle a bit of salt in the frying pan before adding chicken. It will cut down on the amount of grease splattering.
· Store tomatoes with stems pointed down and they will stay fresher and longer.
· To avoid sticky rice, add a tsp of oil and a tsp of lemon juice while cooking.
· To get rid of the smell of eggs in the cakes, add one tablespoon honey to the cake batter while beating it.
· To keep cauliflower white while cooking, add a little milk to the water.
· To keep the chilies fresh for a longer time, remove the stems before storing.
· To keep lemon fresh put them in water and store in refrigerator.
· To Peel Garlic, fry on hot pan for few seconds peel will come out very easily.
· To peel the almonds easily, keep them covered in boiling hot water for five minutes.
· To remove excess salt in the dish you are preparing, add a few pieces of raw potato.
· To remove the coffee stain in the cup, fill it with any kind of soda for 3 hours.
· To restore color and shine to an aluminum pan, boil some apple peels in it for a few minutes, rinse and dry.
· To store chili powder longer, keep a piece of asafetida in the same container.
· When adding curd to a preparation during the cooking process lower the heat and add gradually otherwise it tends to curdle up.
· When the noodles are boiled, drain all the hot water and add cold water. This way all the noodles will get separated.
· When you make desserts use a heavy bottomed vessel.
· Whenever gingelli oil is used for deep frying, initially, put a little tamarind in the hot oil. Allow the tamarind to become dark and then remove from oil. Use this oil for deep frying. This prevents foaming of oil.
· While cooking ladyfingers add a few drops of lemon juice or a spoonful of yogurt to avoid becoming sticky.
· While frying onions add salt to it so that it will be cooked very fast.
· While making kachori or kulchas add 1 tbsp of hot oil to the dough.
· While storing green chilies, remove the stems. This will help the chilies to stay fresh for a long time.