There are many varieties. Some are highlighted here.
· Chinoise: A conical shaped sieve used as a strainer
· Cocktail strainer: A bar accessory
· Colander: A bowl-shaped sieve used as a strainer in cooking
· Flour sifter: It is used in baking
· Mesh strainer (strainer): It consists of a fine metal mesh screen on a metal or plastic frame with or without handle
· Pannadai / Pannaadai: It is a Tamil name of a part of palm tree, temporarily used as natural filter to filter fresh toddy.
· Spider: It is used in Chinese cooking
· Tamis: It is also known as drum sieve
· Tea strainer: To filter tea extract while preparing drinking tea
· Zaru: It is also called bamboo sieve, commonly used in Japanese cooking